Documents for the General Assembly Scheduled for Sunday, November 13, 2016
Minutes of a Meeting of the General Assembly of Saint Barbara Greek Orthodox Church
May 22, 2016
A meeting of members of the Saint Barbara Greek Orthodox Church Parish in General Assembly was called to order by Maria Diamantis, President of the Parish Council. Nominations were sought from the General Assembly for a Chairperson for the meeting. Lou Vlahos nominated Steven Yates as Chairperson to conduct the proceedings. Cindy Anasson seconded the nomination; Steven Yates accepted. Since there were no further nomination, motion to close nominations was approved. Steven Yates was unanimously approved to be the Chair of the General Assembly.
The following business of the General Assembly was conducted:
- Approval of the Minutes of the General Assembly Meeting of November 2, 2015.
A motion was made by Elia Alexiades to approve the minutes of the previous General Assembly conducted on November 2, 2015. The Motion to approve the minutes was seconded by Cindy Anasson. The Motion was approved by majority of the General Assembly.
- Endowment Fund Report and Discussion.
Kaliope Emmanouil, representative of the Endowment Fund presented their report to the General Assembly. The salient points of the report were the following:
- The fund has experienced a 12.92% return.
- There was an increase of $35,000 in new funds.
- The fund’s balance is approximately $350,000.
Parishioners were afforded the opportunity to ask questions to the representative of the Endowment Fund Committee.
A Motion to Approve and Accept the Report of the Endowment Fund was made by Maria Diamantis. The Motion was seconded by Gus Chagares and was approved by majority of the General Assembly.
- General Fund Report and Discussion.
Eugene Esares presented the General Fund Report. A discussion was conducted regarding the General Fund. The salient points of the discussion were the following:
- Philoptochos donated $5,000 from Festival of Trees
- Stewardship collections are down compared to last year.
- Taste of Greece generated $15,000
- Luminaries generated $4,000
- The line item for utilities was over budget due to investment of LED lighting.
- The Mortgage expense has been placed in Building Fund Account for accounting purposes.
- General Administrative expenses have increased by $5,000
Parishioners were afforded the opportunity to ask questions about the General Fund.
A Motion to Approve and Accept the Report of the General Fund was made by Herb Wachter. The Motion was seconded by Vicky Vagenas and was approved by majority of the General Assembly.
- Building Fund Report and Discussion.
Eugene Esares presented the Building Fund report and commenced a discussion regarding the Building Fund. The salient points of the discussion were the following:
- The fund has approximately $28,000 in stocks and securities.
- The mortgage on the property is $2,646,851 and the monthly mortgage payment is $19,500.
- There have been $121,000 in interest payments made on the mortgage.
- There was an infusion of $171,000 from Odyssey into the Building Fund.
- There was a discussion about the sufficiency of income to pay the mortgage. Gene Esares spoke on the topic.
- There was a discussion about the status of the Day Care facility. Maria Diamantis spoke on the topic.
- There was a discussion about the application of Odyssey funds to the General and Building Fund. Gene Esares explained how the process works.
Parishioners were afforded the opportunity to ask questions about the Building Fund.
A Motion to Approve and Accept the Report of the Building Fund was made by Gus Chagares The Motion was seconded by Ann Meehan and was approved by majority of the General Assembly.
- Election of Two Representatives to National Clergy Laity
Several suggestions and nominations were made for members of the Parish to participate in the National Clergy Laity conference this year. After several nominations were made without acceptance, the nominations were tabled and it was agreed to move the topic to the agenda of the next Parish Council meeting. Maria Diamantis, President of the Parish Council will be attending.
A Motion to vest the authority to elect the representatives to the Parish Council by Greg Stamos. The Motion was seconded by George Scarveles and it was approved.
With no other business to be conducted, the General Assembly adjourned by voice acclamation.
Parish Resource Guide:
Upcoming Events and Services
Τρίτη τῆς Τυροφάγου
Endowment Fund Committee
Τετάρτη τῆς Τυροφάγου
Philoptochos General Assembly
See more on our Calendar Page »
Visit our Online Store for a huge selection of icons, Bibles, books, music, and more.
Visit us on Facebook